To visualize exactly how much money the real estate industry generates — and spends — and how these amounts stack up against other business sectors, our colleagues over at RENTCafé put together an infographic revealing the value of everything – from the residential real estate assets of the world’s super-rich to Starbucks revenues or Oprah Winfrey’s net worth.
To help you put things into perspective, here are just a few key highlights:
- If the world’s ultra-wealthy would sell their own homes, they could buy 86% of all homes in Canada
- Canadian home values represent 13% of U.S. home values ($3,500 vs. $26,500 billions)
- Outstanding residential mortgage in Canada accounts for 27% of the value of all existing homes; in the U.S., outstanding residential mortgage stands at 37%
- Online advertising costs represent 31% of the total ad spending in Canada
- Canadian residential real estate agents make $1 billion less than what U.S. brokers and agents spend on ads
Take a look at the infographic below for more intriguing numbers and comparisons: