Today’s guest post comes to us from Erica Rascón, an online content developer and contributing editor for The Balance Sheet — the Yardi corporate blog.
Wouldn’t it be fabulous to start each month with a crystal ball that could tell you who was thinking about selling their home? Unfortunately, that’s not a reality and, we don’t have an app for that (yet). What we do have is a list of seven practical, easy and affordable ways to get more listings. No magic required.
7 Ways to Get More Leads
- Become an Expert People searching the Internet today know that long-tail searches (e.g. sellers’ agent in Martin’s Landing Roswell, GA vs. real estate agent Atlanta) bring better results. Think of your business the same way. Develop your knowledge base in a certain neighborhood or style of house. Then use that area of expertise as a keyword in your online presence. Marketing yourself as an expert makes you easier to find. You’re also more likely to get stronger leads because searchers are looking for exactly what you have to offer.
- Collaborate with Local Businesses Target your marketing efforts at businesses that specialize in home supplies and repairs. Their customers may be preparing their house for the market. Leave behind items in these stores could work in your favor.
- Stay Current Keep up with business and local news to learn about companies that are coming to town, companies that are leaving town, and new housing developments that are under construction. These events result in a bump in home sales and purchases.
- Seize Market Opportunities A sellers’ market is the ideal time to pump up your marketing plan. On your materials, present data that confirms now is the time to sell. You’ll encourage those who have been on the fence to finally make a move. You’ll be at the top of their list of agents because you’ve presented yourself as a knowledgeable and savvy agent.
- Scout Close to Home The family with yet another baby on the way, the co-worker with aging in-laws, and the neighbor who never cared about the yard before but is now Yard of the Month—they’re all going through life changes that could facilitate a move. You should be there to help!
- Host Workshops Host small gatherings—at a coffee shop or online—that can teach local residents how to prepare their homes for the market. You can break sessions into smaller chunks like staging, landscaping, financial matters, etc. Doing so compiles a group of people who are interested in selling their homes while showcasing your knowledge and willingness to assist them. Need help organizing your workshops? Have your real estate franchise check out Yardi eLearning.
- Explore Old FSBO Listings People underestimate the work that it takes to sell a property. Reality kicks in for them after they’ve been on the market for a few months. They are likely at their wits’ end; contacting them is far from a cold call. It could be an act of mercy.
What would you add to this list? We’d love to make it “8 Practical Ways to Get More Listings”!