Green Your Listing with LEDs

SHARE
,

It’s a pretty well-established fact: green homes sell. (Don’t believe us? Check this out.)

Of course buyers can’t expect every Cape Cod gem and midcentury masterpiece to come with all the latest eco-friendly upgrades, but there are small changes sellers and agents can make to update any property to be a little greener. LEDs

One of the easiest, environmentally-friendly changes you can make is to swap out the existing bulbs in the home or commercial property you’re selling.

Did you know that a traditional 100 watt bulb turns less than 10% of its energy into light? The remaining 90% turns into heat. That’s not good for climate control, and it’s certainly not good for a listing’s energy bill.

We have previously written about compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) as a energy-saving option, but they have been revealed to contain toxic mercury that can cause harm if a bulb breaks. Thankfully light-emitting diodes (LEDs) present another, more environmentally safe and efficient lighting solution.

LEDs are more expensive than traditional light bulbs and CFLs but offer great lighting and more flexibility. Thanks to heavy marketing by retailers, customers are beginning to discover their appeal, especially if they are lighting a property they intend to stay in for a while.

LEDs typically cost 5-10 times more than incandescent bulbs, which may seem like a lot until you consider their longevity. Many LED bulbs can last up to 12 years or more! LEDs help reduce greenhouse gas emissions from power plants, cut down on bulb waste and lower electric bills.

If you’re an agent who is trying to convince sellers to make the switch when listing their home, share this article or make a note of the bullet points below. And if you work with buyers who come across a perfectly LED-lit listing, make sure to point it out.

LED Benefits:

  • Creates green curb appeal
  • Improves homes energy audits
  • Appeals to green buyers

And our favorite:

  • Residents won’t have to change a light bulb for years (think of all that time they’ll save climbing up and down ladders)

There are even kits that allow you to automate your lighting by controlling your LED bulbs from your smartphone. Isn’t that amazing? The future is now, ladies and gentlemen.

So how many agents does it take to change a light bulb? Let us know below!

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.